The Permanent Bureau of the Hague Conference on Private International Law (HCCH) seeks a:
LEGAL OFFICER (full-time)
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Excellent law education (Bachelor / Licentiate or equivalent), preferably with post-graduate studies;
- 2-3 years of experience in area of international family law (in particular, on adoption, filiation, and child protection) either in private practice, government, academia, international organisation or NGO;
- Good knowledge of private international law, particularly in family law; familiarity with comparative law is desirable;
- Good drafting capabilities (e.g. LL.M. dissertation, law review or other publications);
- Complete fluency both spoken and written, in at least one of the working languages of the Conference (French or English), with good command of the other; knowledge of other languages desirable; and
- Sensitivity to different legal cultures.
He or she should work well in a team, be able to work in more than one area of law, and respond well to time-critical requests.
Duties will include general assistance in the areas of intercountry adoption and the parentage / surrogacy project, including responding to daily requests, comparative law research, preparation of research papers and other documentation, organisation and preparation of materials for publication, assistance in the preparation of, organisation and participation in conferences, seminars and training programmes, and such other work as may be required by the Secretary General from time to time.
As stated in the HCCH Staff Rules, officials must have the nationality of a Member State of the Organisation.
Type of appointment and duration: one year (3-month probationary period), renewal possible.
Starting date: 1 August 2018.
Grade (Hague Conference adaptation of Co-ordinated Organisations scale): A/1 subject to relevant experience.
Deadline for applications: 6 July 2018.
Applications: written applications should be made by e-mail, with a completed summary application, Curriculum Vitae, letter of motivation, a writing sample and at least two references, to be addressed to the Head of Human Resources, at <firstname.lastname@example.org>.