"Re Article 1
1. With regard to Article 1, Switzerland takes the view that the Convention applies exclusively to the Contracting States. Moreover, regarding the conclusions of the Special Commission which met in The Hague in April 1989, Switzerland believes that, whatever the opinion of the Contracting States on the exclusive application of the Convention, priority should in any event be given to the procedures provided for in the Convention regarding requests for the taking of evidence abroad.
Re Articles 2 and 24
2. In accordance with Article 35, first paragraph, Switzerland designates the cantonal authorities listed in the annex (see Authorities) as Central Authorities as referred to in Articles 2 and 24 of the Convention. Requests for the taking of evidence or the execution of any other judicial act may also be addressed to the Federal Justice and Police Department in Bern, which will forward them to the appropriate Central Authority.
Re Article 4, second and third paragraphs
3. In accordance with Articles 33 and 35, Switzerland declares, with regard to Article 4, second and third paragraphs, that Letters of Request and any accompanying documents must be in the language of the authority requested to execute them, i.e. in German, French or Italian, or accompanied by a translation into one of these languages, depending on the part of Switzerland in which the documents are to be executed. The documents confirming execution will be drawn up in the official language of the requested authority.
Re Article 8
4. In accordance with Article 35, second paragraph, Switzerland declares, with regard to Article 8, that members of the judicial personnel of the requesting authority of another Contracting State may be present at the execution of a Letter of Request provided they have obtained prior authorization from the executing authority.
Re Articles 15, 16 and 17
5. In accordance with Article 35, Switzerland declares that evidence may be taken according to Articles 15, 16 and 17 subject to prior authorization by the Federal Justice and Police Department. A request for authorization must be addressed to the Central Authority in the canton where the evidence is to be taken.
Re Article 23
6. In accordance with Article 23, Switzerland declares that Letters of Request issued for the purpose of obtaining pre-trial discovery of documents will not be executed if:
a) the request has no direct and necessary link with the proceedings in question; or
b) a person is required to indicate what documents relating to the case are or were in his/her possession or keeping or at his/her disposal; or
c) a person is required to produce documents other than those mentioned in the request for legal assistance, which are probably in his/her possession or keeping or at his/her disposal; or
d) interests worthy of protection of the concerned persons are endangered."