The Permanent Bureau of the Hague Conference on Private International Law (HCCH) is seeking a:
FRENCH-SPEAKING TRANSLATOR / REVISER (80%)
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- A university degree in translation - certification for legal translations an asset;
- Excellent language skills in French, which will be the candidate’s native language, as well as strong English skills;
- Ability to provide, without revision, stylistically, grammatically and syntactically excellent translations that accurately reflect the meaning or intention of the original;
- Ability to work highly independently (or with little supervision);
- Strong experience with full Microsoft Office environment;
- Sensitivity to different cultures and team player;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet often short deadlines;
- Experience in translating legal documents (knowledge of law would be considered an asset).
As the sole French-speaking translator (linguist), the candidate should be able to work highly independently and respond well to time-critical requests. The successful applicant will be responsible for the overall linguistic quality of French documents. He or she will report to the Head of Administration.
Duties will include translating texts from English to French (the two official languages of the HCCH), revising and editing documents and publications prepared in French by members of the Permanent Bureau as well as external translators, maintaining an internal translation calendar, assisting in planning, and other related tasks as needed.
Type of appointment and duration: two-year contract (six-moth probationary period), possibility for renewal
Grade (Co-ordinated Organisations scale for the Netherlands): +/- B4 subject to relevant experience
Deadline for applications: 9 March 2018
Anticipated starting date: early April 2018
Applications: written applications should be sent by e-mail, with Curriculum Vitae, letter of motivation and contact information for at least two references, to be addressed to the Head of Administration, e-mail: email@example.com.