The HCCH Conference on Commercial, Digital and Financial Law Across Borders (CODIFI)
The Permanent Bureau held the inaugural HCCH CODIFI Conference online from 12 to 16 September 2022, following the mandate of the Council on General Affairs and Policy at its 2022 meeting (see C&Ds Nos 14, 34 and 36).
CODIFI examined issues of private international law in the Commercial, Digital, and Financial sectors, highlighting developments in the digital economy and fintech industries as well as clarifying the roles of core HCCH instruments: the 1985 Trusts Convention, the 2006 Securities Convention, and the Principles on Choice of Law in International Commercial Contracts (Choice of Law Principles).
CODIFI brought together panellists and participants from a range of backgrounds, drawing on the expertise of specialists in public service and government, legal practice, finance, the technology sector, the diplomatic community and academia. CODIFI was organised into multiple thematic “tracks” based on the Digital Economy, Trusts and Securities, and the Choice of Law Principles. The final session plan and session descriptions are available here.
A playlist of nearly all sessions of the Conference is available here.
Based on the discussions and conclusions of the CODIFI Conference, the Permanent Bureau produced the following Preliminary Documents for the consideration of the Council on General Affairs and Policy at its 2023 meeting.
- Prel. Doc. No 3A of January 2023 - Digital Economy and the HCCH Conference on Commercial, Digital and Financial Law Across Borders (CODIFI Conference): Report
- Prel. Doc. No 3B of January 2023 - Proposal for Exploratory Work: Private International Law Aspects of Central Bank Digital Currencies (CBDCs)
- Prel. Doc. No 3C of January 2023 - Proposal for Joint Work: HCCH-UNIDROIT Project on Law Applicable to Cross-Border Holdings and Transfers of Digital Assets and Tokens (the Annex is a report of the CODIFI Conference)
- Prel. Doc. No 10A of January 2023 - 2006 Securities Convention, 1985 Trusts Convention, 2015 Principles on Choice of Law: Update
- Prel. Doc. No 10B of January 2023 - 2015 Principles on Choice of Law: Updates and possible future work
- Prel. Doc. No 10C of December 2022 - 1985 Trusts Convention: Updates and possible future work
- Blockchain: Implications for Private International Law (PPT)
- Blockchain and Fintech: Some Private International Law Questions (PPT)
- HCCH 1985 Trusts Convention (PPT)
- HCCH 2006 Securities Convention: Origins and Future Developments in a Digital World (PPT)
- HCCH 2015 Principles on Choice of Law in International Commercial Contracts (PPT)