Designated Competent Authority(ies):
1. The Federal Ministry for Europe, Integration and Foreign Affairs with regard to all documents issued by:
a) the Federal President or the Office of the Federal President,
b) the President of the National Council, the President of the Federal Council or the Parliamentary Administrative Office,
c) the federal government,
d) a federal ministry,
e) the Constitutional Court or the Administrative Court,
f) the Supreme Court, the Supreme Cartel Court at the Supreme Court, the Supreme Restoration Commission at the Supreme Court, the Supreme Restitution Commission at the Supreme Court or
g) the Court of Audit.
As of 1 November 2014, Austrian Embassies and Consulates (except for Honorary -General- Consulates) will be empowered to issue Apostilles for the following documents:
· birth certificates
· marriage certificates
· death certificates
· proof of citizenship (Staatsbürgerschaftsnachweis)
· certificate of exit from the State (Bestätigung über das Ausscheiden aus dem Staatsverband)
· criminal records
These documents are retrieved and transmitted in electronic form from the Austrian civil register, containing civil documents and citizenship documents as well as the criminal records register.The Apostille will be affixed in label form on the document itself or on an inseparably connected second page.
2. The presidents of civil courts of first instance, or their designated representatives for the issue of certificates (apostilles), with the exception of the Commercial Court in Vienna and the Juvenile Court in Vienna, with regard to all documents issued in the region served by the court in question by:
a) a court other than those referred to in point 1 (e) and (f),
b) a public prosecutor's office,
c) a notary,
d) a chamber of notaries or a bar association, in so far as the chamber or association in question did so in the execution of official federal duties.
3. With regard to all other documents,
a) provincial governors, for documents issued in their province in the execution of official federal duties,
b) provincial governments, for documents issued in their province in the execution of official federal duties.
||Bundesministerium für Europa, Integration und Äußeres
A - 1014 Wien
||+43 50 11 50-0
||+43 50 11 59-0
|General website (see also "Practical Information") :
|Languages of communication:
(This page was last updated on 27 November 2014)